Peptan® Improves Joint And Cartilage Health
There are many different types of collagen in our body, but 80-90% of them belong to Type I, II or III.
Different types of collagen
Type I collagen accounts for more than 90% of organic mass of bone and is also the major component of our skin, tendons and ligaments. Type I collagen fibrils have enormous tensile strength – meaning they can be stretched without being broken. Gram for gram, type I collagen is stronger than steel. Type III collagen fibres are normally found alongside type I.
Collagen fibres make up 70-95% of our cartilage and are responsible for its structure and strength. Type II collagen is the predominant collagen in cartilage.
In order to maintain healthy joints, our bodies need building blocks that will support tissue regeneration. Collagen peptides are a source of bioactive peptides. This means that collagen peptides actively support healthy cartilage and joint function.
How it works
Get ready for a biology lesson! Human cartilage contains cellular building blocks (chondrocytes). These produce the extracellular matrix, which consists of collagen fibres and proteoglycans. Collagen fibres in cartilage are responsible for its structure and strength, while proteoglycans lubricate and cushion our joints.
Healthy cartilage relies on a finely balanced process that breaks down collagen and certain proteoglycans and replaces them both with a newly-formed matrix. If the process is disturbed, increased matrix breakdown leads to a loss of cartilage and joint function. Peptan® collagen peptides are designed to keep this process in balance.
Proven joint benefits of Peptan®
- Reducing joint discomfort and stiffness
- Increasing collagen and certain proteoglycan production
- Helping to prevent cartilage degeneration and support healthy joints
- Uniquely helping to reduce joint inflammation, a leading cause of joint discomfort
Additional facts highlighted by recent scientific studies:
- Subjects with the greatest joint deterioration benefited the most from the effects of collagen peptides.
- Healthy athletes with reduced joint discomfort also benefited from collagen peptides when walking, standing or carrying objects.
We've spared you the scientific details, and simply listed the proven benefits of Peptan® here. However, you can check this page to read the scientific studies and findings in more detail.