Losing your hair can be upsetting and a blow to self-confidence, but hair loss among men and women is surprisingly common. In fact, research shows that over 2 million people in the US are affected by alopecia (the medical term for hair loss).
When it comes to post-Covid hair loss, the statistics are staggering. However, according to The American Academy of Dermatology, the type of hair loss linked to Covid is actually hair shedding, also known as telogen effluvium.
This occurs when a high fever or illness forces more hairs than normal to enter the shedding phase of the hair growth cycle. As a result, hair starts to shed/fall out around three months post-Covid and can last for six to nine months.
How common is post-Covid hair loss?
A recent survey published in the International Journal of Dermatology showed that out of 5,000 Covid-19 patients who answered a questionnaire, the most common symptom (in the three months post-Covid) was hair loss, followed by memory loss, fatigue, and feelings of anxiety and depression.
The hair loss that the patients experienced was linked to inflammatory symptoms such as high fever, shortness of breath, and myalgia or muscle aches and pains.
After suffering from a bad case of Covid earlier this year, Cassy, 39 noticed significant hair loss within three months of recovering.
“Even though I’ve always been blessed with thick, healthy hair, it took a turn for the worse after I had Covid,” she recalls. “Suddenly I noticed lots of hairs on my hairbrush every time I styled my hair and it just generally felt thinner and more brittle.”
Is hair loss normal?
Normally, about 10% of our hair is in the shedding phase at any point in time, meaning we lose up to 100 hairs a day. If you’re wondering whether you’re losing more than this, you can do a simple hair-pull test at home – just wait at least 48 hours after washing your hair to do it.
For the test, you take a section of hair (about 1cm thick) between your forefinger and thumb and slowly pull down the length of the hair shafts. If over 10 hairs come out, you’re more than likely suffering from a form of hair loss.
In Cassy’s case, her hair loss was quite significant, and it was evident that it was due to having Covid.
A natural hair loss solution
While it’s distressing to lose your hair after a traumatic event or illness like Covid, the good news is that your hair can recover. To help it along, and slow down the shedding phase, it’s a good idea to add a good-quality hair supplement to your vitamin/mineral regime, along with the following healthy habits:
- Make sure to eat enough protein – as it’s the building block of healthy hair
- Get enough sleep – to reduce stress on the body and allow it to recover
- Drink plenty of water – as it supports the nutrients you take in and circulates them around your body
- Massage your scalp every time you wash your hair- as this helps to boost circulation and create a healthy scalp environment
Boost your nutrient profile:
This will help to fill in any nutritional gaps and give your body an extra dose of hair-loving nutrients to support hair growth.
Tullula radiant hair VITAMINS has been specifically formulated to:
- Build stronger, thicker and silkier hair
- Strengthen and thicken hair follicles
- Slow the rate of hair loss
- Promote and maintain a healthy scalp
- Rejuvenate and boost shine
Unlike other hair care vitamins on the market, our unique blend of nutrients combines the very best, and most effective hair-nourishing ingredients in one specific formula – and in the right amounts that your body can utilize quickly and efficiently.
Along with essential vitamins such as vitamin B9 (folic acid), vitamin C and vitamin E, our winning hair formula is rich in:
- Biotin – one of the key building blocks of healthy hair growth, biotin is considered the best B vitamin for overall hair health.
- Hyaluronic acid – this molecule helps to combat fizziness by treating dehydration and ensuring hair stays strong and shiny.
- Amino acids – A blend of L-Arginine, L-Lysine and L-Methionine work together to support hair follicle growth, promote a healthy scalp environment, and delay hair aging.
- Ashwagandha – this unique plant extract helps to reduce overall stress in the body, thus supporting the processes associated with the hair growth cycle.
- Saw Palmetto – Hailed as a hair growth supercharger, this plant extract essentially helps to prevent the conversion of testosterone into DHT, a hormone that contributes to hair thinning.
After using Tululla radiant hair VITAMINS for just 12 weeks, Cassy noticed her hair felt thicker and fuller. She also said it was shinier and more manageable. “Despite the fact that I’m still stressed at work and don’t get as much sleep as I should, I’ve noticed that my hair is much more resilient now that I’m supporting it with the right nutrients,” she adds.